There are a few instances in which it will be necessary to perform a master reset on the Montana, including the following:
- Not receiving a satellite signal
- Restoring the factory default settings
- Not functioning properly
Performing a master reset can cause data loss. To back up user data* utilize the FAQ “How do I back up user data from my outdoor GPS with a USB interface?". If removing user data is desired to eliminate corrupt data or free up additional space, reference the FAQ “Why does my Garmin outdoor or fitness GPS still show my GPS data after a master reset?”.
To perform the master reset:
- Power Montana off
- Press and hold finger on upper left side of display (can be done in portrait or landscape mode)
- Power on device
- Continue holding until the Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
- Release finger from upper left side of display
- Touch Erase ( you may need to touch the Erase 2 or 3 times for the re-boot to start)
The Device will re-boot and then prompt you to select Language required
The Montana is now reset. It may be necessary to leave the device outside with a clear view of the sky for 20 minutes to acquire satellite data.
You will need to now work through our recommended setting guide re-entering all of our recommended settings into your GPS Device from the Setup Menu
*User data consists of waypoints, routes, tracks, and geocaches